Thursday, February 02, 2006

Schade. Tant pis.

Schade! Or rather, too bad. Yesterday was a bit of a disappointment. My whole plan to visit Bamberg this Spring crashed and burned. The people I really want to see seem to be just too busy. It's really hard for me to give up the idea of visiting this year, because it means any visit I make will not be like it was when I was there. Let me clarify: By the end of the summer, just about every friend I had in the area--with the exception of some of the teachers--will be gone. Some are finishing up university degrees, others are finishing up their stays abroad. So if I go back and they aren't there, then a major part of what the city was like for me will have vanished. It'll be a wierd feeling, and one that I am not truly ready to handle. I'm not ready to give up the social possibilities so soon, and yet that is what I am being asked to do. It's quite frustrating, and left me feeling quite sad all day during my first day at work. I am doing all sorts of mental gymnastics trying to figure out if it's worth it to visit another friend or two in Europe during the same time that I would have been there to travel around Germany. Yet a big part of me is saying I shouldn't. What I should be doing right now is saving for grad school and be responsible, and the only reason I justified Bamberg in the first place was that the young professional population shifts so often. Question still remains: what do I do now??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home