Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Alcatraz & Coit Tower

Since I was out there, how could I resist a visit to Alcatraz?? I went back down to the Embarcadero and hopped a boat over to Alcatraz Island on a very sunny morning. Lucky for me, it wasn't too crowded. It had been awhile since I'd been on a boat on the open water, but it was just as nice as I remembered.


There was an audio self-guided tour that took you through the facilities. The whole place was very rundown and smelled used (for lack of any better way to describe it!).


I was surprised by the amount of plant life that had been cultivated on the island by the wardens and inmates while it had been in service, and even more surprised to learn that the wardens' families often lived on the island too -- and didn't lock their doors ever!


Back in the city, I walked over toward Greenwhich and Filbert Streets and found my way up to Coit Tower, which overlooks the city.


The Tower has historical scenes depicted through frescoes that wrap around the interior walkway of the building.


From the top you had 360 degree views of the city:


And walking back down to the main streetways, you got to walk down crazy stairs...I felt like I was in the middle of some bizarre urban jungle retreat:


There were lots of pretty flowers there too:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home