Thursday, March 08, 2007

Nomadic Farming = Spring Break


This week I flew down to FL to visit Miss Kate at Worden Farm, a 55-acre organic farm outside of Punta Gorda. It was a sunny, warm visit.

I spent some time helping out planting seeds, harvesting random vegetables, cooking with the other apprentices, taking pictures of Kate and her tractors, and getting some work done. It was a quiet area, but the other girls there made it a wonderful place to spend a few days.

There was also an abundance of fresh produce, which made for some incredibly tasty meals. We made a trip into Sarasota for some Goodwill thrift shopping, dinner, and "Pan's Labyrinth." My last full day in FL, Kate took off the afternoon, and we drove to Stump Pass Beach. It was great; we hiked way out to the point and soaked up the sun and played in the water. All the locals thought we were crazy to go in so early in the season, but heck! we're from up North :) That seemed to calm all their fears. All in all it was a delightfully unexpected trip that left me happy and warm. Too bad I had to dig my car out of snow when I got back to the city!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home